Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Cape Coast

Ayaan-We spent Sunday and Monday in the Cape Coast. It was so much fun! I almost forgot I was in Africa. We’ve spent all our time in Legon and Accra, which is more city like, that when we got to the coast it felt so different. The Elon University winter term students were at Cape Coast this weekend so we one of the girls we’re with was able to contact the professor with them so we could arrange to meet up with them. It was awesome because they were nice enough to pay for transportation there and for a hotel for Sunday night. We woke up Sunday morning and hit the road around 8:15. The driver took us to Kakum where we did the canopy walk. We were over 40 meters up in the air over the forest. It was so gorgeous! The tour lasted about an hour and we took a million pictures. We left from there and ate lunch at the Hans Cottage Botel, a boat-like hotel with a restaurant that is surrounded by a large pond with crocodiles in it. It was the best meal I’ve had since we’ve been here. We both ordered the Spaghetti Bolognaise with Cheese which is basically spaghetti with ground meat sauce. I don’t think I’d been full here since then. From there we headed to the hotel to meet up with the winter term students. The hotel was right on the beach and it was so beautiful. As soon as we got there we changed to out swimsuits. I just put my feet in but all the other girls got in the water. Kaya and I shared a triple occupancy room with Joanna, one of the girls staying for the semester with us. It had air conditioning and hot water for the shower which we don’t have on campus so it was so great. I didn’t want to leave. We had dinner at the hotel, which was kind of expensive, and a bonfire afterwards. Finally, we woke up Monday morning and visited the Elmina and Cape Coast Castles where the slaves were shipped out of Ghana by the Dutch and the Portuguese. It was emotional and very saddening to think that our ancestors went through such torture. We picked up lunch from a restaurant outside of the Cape Coast Castle and were picked up by the bus driving the other Elon students and headed back to the University. I didn’t want to leave because I am not a huge fan of the city here. Its way too fast paced for me. I can’t wait for the next trip! Until then, classes start this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment