Sunday, March 28, 2010

CAS Visit 2

Ayaan-Thursday was a good day! In the morning Kaya and I went to Xylophone where we were very confident because we had a private lesson with our professor Wednesday and got ahead on the new song we are learning. Following class, we went back to Catholic Action for Street Children to volunteer. Unfortunately, there wasn’t much for us to do there to help out today. We spent the rest of the 45 cedi I found on the ground earlier in the semester on jewelry the kids made. Kaya, who was intrigued by the jewelry making instructor, Rasta, last time we went, wanted to hang out and make jewelry with him and the kids while we were there. We spent the whole time talking to a few kids and making earrings to match some the necklaces and bracelets we bought. Every time Kaya put a combination of beads together she thought looked good, Rasta would rearrange the beads so they looked better. I believe Kaya made four or five sets of earrings and only one set ended up being her design alone.


Besides Kaya’s jewelry making we didn’t do much more. We talked to a couple of kids who were really bubbly and excited to see that we were twins. They were so hyper it is hard to imagine what a rough life they have living on the streets. While making jewelry a couple of kids got into a fight, but the adults managed to cool them down. About an hour later another couple of boys got into a fight. We just heard yelling and looked up and they were punching each other. They were quickly pulled apart, but one went and grabbed a huge rock and was ready to throw it at the other boy. We have no idea what the altercation was about, but it was definitely an experience. Then again, anywhere in the world you go teenage boys are going to fight. But as street children, I guess it would be necessary to know how to defend your self. It’s definitely not the safest place to be.

On the way back to campus, traffic was horrible. If you think traffic in the states is bad, try being in a tro-tro (van type vehicle) stuffed with 10+ people, in 90 degree weather and with no air conditioning. Fortunately on the way to volunteer Kaya and I decided to invest in handkerchiefs, one thing most Ghanaian don’t live without. I’m surprised it took Kaya and I this long to buys some. By the time we got back to campus we were so exhausted we weren’t even hungry after only eating breakfast at 8:30 in the morning. Definitely a long day, but a day I won’t forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment